As a new affiliate marketer, you must choose a strategy to get traffic to your affiliate offers. You can choose between multiple free and paid traffic sources to get traffic to your offer and make money. We tried every available marketing channel and selected the best-paid traffic sources for affiliate marketing for you. After reading this article you know which paid traffic sources are the best fit for you. We will provide all the information to set up your own marketing campaign and start making money online!
FIRST OF ALL, WHAT IS A TRAFFIC SOURCE?
Simply put, a traffic source is a platform through which users, subscribers, and potential customers are drawn to your website, blog, or social media page. Every visit to your blog, website, or social media page can be traced back to an origin. This origin is what we call a ‘traffic source.’
A traffic source could be free or paid, depending solely on your wants as an affiliate marketer. When you fully comprehend what traffic sources are, the types that are available, and which one you need to maximize your profits as an affiliate marketer, you’ll be able to shape and change your SMO (Social media Optimization), SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), and general monetization strategy!
TYPES OF TRAFFIC SOURCES FOR AFFILIATE MARKETING FREE OR PAID?
As of today, affiliate marketers have the privilege to either pay for their traffic sources or to get them for free. To succeed in the business, you must choose the channels that are the best fit for you.
Free traffic sounds nice because you don’t need to spend any money. Is it the best option, though? After reading this article, you should have your answer.
Statistics have shown that trying to optimize affiliate marketing content through free traffic takes a long time to generate substantial growth. You will need to put in more effort and time to get massive results if you choose to use only free traffic sources for affiliate marketing. If you have some money to invest, we recommend starting with free traffic sources, make your first sales and make sure that you have good converting content. When that’s the case, you should start learning about paid traffic sources and start a paid traffic marketing campaign!
We actually started affiliate marketing with this free traffic method. When we started to make 1k-2k a month, we wanted to scale our business with paid traffic sources. If you don’t have a big start capital and you don’t want to risk much, we recommend following the same strategy!
PAID TRAFFIC SOURCES
Yes, it’s possible to earn 5k-10k a month with affiliate marketing and only use free traffic, but it will take some serious time and effort to get to the top. We believe that every affiliate marketer that has serious dreams of being successful and make good money should explore the options of paying for traffic.
Firstly, we believe that having consumed a lot of time and energy in your content creation process, you might want to optimize it by getting fast and effective traffic. Secondly, the advantages of using paid traffic channels outweigh those of using free ones:
- Unlike free traffic sources, paid channels guarantee faster growth.
- Paid channels are not really that expensive if you use them right. It’s all about ROI (Return on investment.)
- There are multiple paid traffic options for every affiliate marketer.
- Paid traffic sources can target your audience better.
- With paid channels, you have better chances of converting your leads.
WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING PAID TRAFFIC SOURCES?
Before choosing from the numerous paid traffic marketing channel options available for affiliate marketers, there are some things you should consider.
- You need to make a check of the niche and audience you want to target for your affiliate campaigns. You have to make sure that they are reachable with the paid traffic source that you want to use.
- You need to know the cost of the marketing channel and decide if it is within your budget. You also need to determine if it would be worth your money in the long run. When you have the budget, you could do a pilot and run multiple ads through multiple channels and measure which channel converts the best for your affiliate offer.
- You need to know the amount of traffic the marketing channel would fetch you. For example, Facebook ads can generate more traffic for the same price than Google Ads.
- You need to understand the rules, regulations, and restrictions governing the marketing channel you choose. We recommend to google this before you start your marketing campaign! For example, some channels don’t approve misleading banners.
- You need to look at all the options available for you, and then decide which of them would suit your needs. Whichever option you choose, your target market needs to be reached.
to become a top affiliate marketer, you would need to use the best-paid traffic sources. Likewise, it is best to have a grip on the sources available to you. The world is constantly changing and evolving, and what used to work some months back may not work just as fine today.
Knowing your options would help you focus on which one to build your campaigns around, be flexible and improvise when the need arises, and to move on the next option if the one you are using stops working as it should.
In our experience, we believe the best paid traffic sources for affiliate marketing today are:
- Google Adwords/Bing Pay-Per-Click (PPC)
- Facebook Ads
- Instagram Ads
- Influencer marketing
- Email advertising
- Sponsored content
- PPV Advertising
- Solo Ads
We will now discuss how these paid traffic sources for affiliate marketing work, we will outline the advantages and disadvantages of using these traffic sources, and we will recommend what kind of affiliate marketers should use each channel.
1. THE BEST TRAFFIC SOURCE FOR AFFILIATE MARKETING: GOOGLE ADWORDS/BING
WHAT IS GOOGLE ADWORDS?
Google Adwords is the biggest network for PPC advertising today. It is an advertising platform being run by Google, which charges you based on the number of clicks generated to your site.
As an affiliate marketer, you know that some of the merchants adopt the pay-per-click system of payment. If your merchant happens to use this method, then Google Adwords might be exactly what you need.
HOW IT WORKS.
Google allows you to create keyword search queries and choose the specific amount of clicks you would like. Then Google lists out the best ads at the top of a search result page and the best-ranked website pages. You can now optimize your ads for visitors that already use Google when searching for your target keywords. The major problem with using Google Adwords is that it can be quite expensive.
Alternative search engines that you can use if you cannot afford Google Adwords include Bing, Gigablast, Baidu, Yandex, DuckDuckGo, and Yahoo.
WHO SHOULD USE GOOGLE ADWORDS?
Like we’ve said, if your affiliate merchant pays you through the pay-per-click system, then Google Adwords would suit you. Also when you have a really good converting website it could be profitable. The truth is, just about every affiliate marketer can use Google Adwords, so you should first do some research about the competition and to make sure that you will get a positive return on investment.
ADVANTAGES OF USING GOOGLE ADWORDS
- Google is arguably the most visited website on earth, with studies showing that 77% of online searches are entered on Google.
- They allow you to target your keywords, so you can target really specific your audience.
- Google Adwords comes with the right tools an affiliate marketer needs to maximize his/her campaigns and is user-friendly.
- It can be used to test your ad targeting strategy because of its wide coverage.
- They offer numerous optimization options for affiliate marketers.
DISADVANTAGES OF USING GOOGLE ADWORDS
- Google Adwords can be quite expensive as the demand for it is high.
- An affiliate marketer has to be up to date with the best optimization strategies in order to fully harness the power of Google Adwords.
2. THE BEST TRAFFIC SOURCE FOR AFFILIATE MARKETING: FACEBOOK ADS
WHAT ARE FACEBOOK ADS?
Facebook ads, short for Facebook advertising, is a medium of generating traffic through Facebook. This marketing channel is the largest and possibly the best social media ads today due to the massive online presence on Facebook.
There are so many other social media ad options (Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn for instance), but, the unique and updated features of Facebook ads make it a must use for affiliate marketers.
In addition to its massive audience, Facebook ads are actually very affordable.
HOW IT WORKS
Facebooks ads focus on audience targeting. When you purchase Facebook ads, you get to state the category of people you are targeting on the platform. You can insert the age range as well. For instance, you can say you want to target video game lovers around the ages 15 to 25.
Facebook then puts up your ads on their news feed. These ads would appear on the mobile phones or desktops of your target audience. Those using desktops would also be able to view these ads on their right column.
WHO SHOULD USE FACEBOOK ADS?
If your affiliate merchant uses the pay-per-click or the pay-per-leads options, then using Facebook ads would come in very handy in your affiliate campaigns. This is because, with an estimated 2.2 billion active Facebook users, a lot of people are bound to click on your Facebook ads knowingly or unknowingly.
Affiliate marketers whose merchants pay per sale would also profit a lot from using Facebook ads because they would be able to target their audience properly. Facebook Ads provide numerous options that allow this.
ADVANTAGES OF USING FACEBOOK ADS
- Facebook provides a platform for a huge audience.
- With Facebook Ads, you can specially target your audience. This is because Facebook’s algorithm is designed in such a way that your target audience only sees your ad campaign.
- Facebook allows affiliate marketers to retarget. You can place a hidden Facebook pixel on your affiliate platform to capture the attention of your visitors. This method can convert really well!
- With Facebook ads, you can also monitor the data of your marketing campaign.
DISADVANTAGES OF USING FACEBOOK ADS
- You may have to properly research your target audience and understand the demographics of Facebook Ads.
- Due to its advantages, competition is constantly increasing. Potential subscribers may be getting tired of continually seeing a lot of Facebook ads pop up on their screens.
3. INSTAGRAM ADS
WHAT ARE INSTAGRAM ADS?
Just like Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads is a medium for generating traffic. In fact, Instagram is owned by Facebook, so they pretty much work alike. Instagram is the second-largest social media platform after Facebook, so it has a large audience. Over the past five years, after the introduction of Instagram Live and Instagram Stories, the growth of the platform has skyrocketed. This is one of the reasons why it is one of the best-paid traffic sources for affiliate marketing.
Instagram has a lot of unique features that make it a great marketing channel for affiliate marketers. However, paying for Instagram Ads may be slightly more expensive than paying for Facebook Ads. The alternatives for Instagram Ads are Facebook Ads, of course, using LinkedIn, Twitter, or Pinterest.
HOW IT WORKS
Instagram is a platform where people share pictures and videos, amidst interaction, and having fun. When you purchase Instagram Ads, you get to share your content through pictures of videos that would appear on the feeds of your target audience. It is advised to use videos though, as they are the most eye-catching.
WHO SHOULD USE INSTAGRAM ADS?
Every affiliate marketer can use Instagram Ads as it can generate clicks, leads, and potential subscribers. Affiliate marketers with products or services that are for millennials would particularly benefit from using Instagram Ads because 59% of Instagram users are within the ages 18 and 29.
ADVANTAGES OF USING INSTAGRAM ADS
- Instagram offers a comparatively large audience as it is rumored to have over 600 million active users.
- Since the platform uses photos and videos as an interaction medium, affiliate marketers would greatly benefit. This is because using visuals such as videos and pictures is the best way to capture attention.
- Instagram has an Artificial Intelligence (AI) scheme that targets the audience that would want your products or services.
DISADVANTAGES OF USING INSTAGRAM ADS
- If your product or service does not relate to pictures or graphics in any way, Instagram would not be a great option.
- Instagram Ads are slightly more expensive than Facebook Ads.
4. THE BEST TRAFFIC SOURCE FOR AFFILIATE MARKETING: INFLUENCER MARKETING
WHAT IS INFLUENCER MARKETING?
This is a type of paid traffic source or marketing channel that involves the use of someone to advertise products or services. That person is called an ‘influencer.’ Influencers usually have a large audience or fan base on various social media platforms. This medium of sourcing for traffic is great because it is not restricted to a search engine or social media platform.
HOW IT WORKS
When you pay for Influencer marketing, your influencer gets to publish content about your affiliate product or service on his/her platforms. Influencers mainly use social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter, but a lot of them use personal websites and blogs as well.
An affiliate marketer that also has a large following on social media can personally do this type of marketing and not pay anyone.
WHO SHOULD YOU USE INFLUENCER MARKETING?
If you have a large following or fan base, you can use those platforms for influencer marketing. Any affiliate marketer can also use other influencers to generate clicks, leads, and sales to their marketing campaign.
ADVANTAGES OF INFLUENCER MARKETING
- Influencer marketing allows the use of multiple marketing channels and therefore, increases the chances of succeeding in affiliate marketing.
- Anybody that has been able to build large followership over the years can use influencer marketing for affiliate marketing.
- If you are already a big influencer, you would not have to pay for this type of traffic source.
DISADVANTAGES OF INFLUENCER MARKETING
- The major disadvantage of using influencers is that they charge higher than the other traffic sources.
- Influencers can´t target a particular audience like Google, Facebook or Instagram. They just put out your content to their audience whether it’s what they would like or not.
5. THE BEST TRAFFIC SOURCE FOR AFFILIATE MARKETING: EMAIL ADVERTISING
WHAT IS EMAIL ADVERTISING?
This type of advertising involves the use of emails. It is a type of marketing campaign that involves the use of email newsletter publishers (usually referred to as Ezines) to generate leads.
HOW IT WORKS
Today, Ezines or newsletter publishers often sell advertising space in their newsletters. You the affiliate marketer would literally be paying for your affiliate links to be put up on advertising sections of these online newsletters or Ezine publications. Some publishers over free ads, but, we’ve discussed why we believe paying for your traffic is the best option.
WHO SHOULD USE EMAIL ADVERTISING?
Affiliate marketers that use merchants who pay-per-lead would benefit greatly from this type of traffic source. That being said, every affiliate marketer can try this medium though.
ADVANTAGES OF EMAIL ADVERTISING
- It is a very cost-effective, fast, and efficient method.
- There are Ezines for almost any niche meaning an affiliate marketer can solely focus on his target market.
DISADVANTAGES OF EMAIL ADVERTISING
- Finding a list of publishers to advertise with can be a challenging task.
- The requirements before your articles or ads would get published can be complex.
6. SPONSORED CONTENT
WHAT IS SPONSORED CONTENT?
Also widely referred to as native advertising, sponsored content is a type of marketing channel or paid traffic source that involves brand-sponsored articles and videos appearing on the website or social media platforms of influencers and publishers.
Sponsored content is designed to take on the look of the influencer or publishers’ platform and tend to look like very regular content. Some of the most popular sites for sponsored content are CNN, Taboola, Yahoo Gemini, Bloomberg, FOX, etc.
HOW IT WORKS
A brand or an affiliate marketer enters an agreement with a publisher or an influencer to become a sponsor. The influencer or publisher would then post articles or content relating to that brand or affiliate marketer’s product on their platforms (this can be a website or social media platform). The influencer or publisher charges the affiliate marketer or brand per views.
WHO SHOULD YOU USE SPONSORED CONTENT?
An affiliate marketer that knows his/her numbers should use sponsored content. It is great though for that affiliate marketer that wants to really generate leads and not just clicks.
ADVANTAGES OF SPONSORED CONTENT
- It can offer wide coverage.
- The rates are fixed and do not confuse.
DISADVANTAGES OF SPONSORED CONTENT
- Using sponsored content may be a little outdated.
- It can be quite expensive for newbie affiliate marketers.
- The rules and regulations with this type of marketing traffic are stricter than the others.
7. PPV ADVERTISING
WHAT IS PPV ADVERTISING?
Short for Pay per View, PPV advertising is a traffic source that involves paying an advertising network or provider a stipulated sum, every time a potential subscriber or lead gets to view your content.
HOW IT WORKS
When you sign up for PPV advertising, your network will install toolbars on your audience’s computers. Your content would then begin to pop-up regularly on their computer screens, compelling them to follow the link to your product or service’s page.
The biggest company´s offering PPV advertising is:
WHO SHOULD USE PPV ADVERTISING?
Every type of affiliate marketer could use this type of paid traffic source.
ADVANTAGES OF PPV ADVERTISING
- PPV advertising does not involve a lot of rules or regulations compared to other traffic sources.
- PPV advertising allows affiliate marketers to target for cheap.
- A PPV advertising page is usually a very understandable one page that every audience can understand.
DISADVANTAGES OF PPV ADVERTISING
- PPV advertising doesn’t generate as much traffic as the other paid traffic sources.
- It can be quite expensive and requires deposits before they can kick-off.
- PPV advertising is not as popular as the other paid traffic sources, so finding a PPV network or provider would not be easy.
- The marketing channel is becoming outdated.
HOW TO START?
If you want to take your affiliate marketing business to the next level, you now know the best traffic sources for affiliate marketing. We highly recommend doing some testing before you start using your full marketing budget on these channels.
For example: Choose three marketing channels that meet your requirements. Set up the same marketing campaign on these different channels for the same pilot budget.
Measure the results and decide on which marketing channel you want to focus on in the beginning. You should look at the ROI. Which marketing channel gives you the best return on your investment?
You should focus on that marketing channel and optimize the campaigns for the best result! You could also do testing with different campaigns, content, and pictures to figure out which campaign converts the best!
It’s possible that your first paid campaigns aren’t profitable. Don’t stop when you don’t succeed in your first campaigns. Stay learning and improving your campaigns and you will start seeing good profits!
Thanks for your time, stay healthy stay wealthy…